Many of us (myself included) thought that we must eat many small meals throughout the day to lose weight.
I remember feeling guilty if I didn’t eat at least 3 meals a day.
We are programmed to believe that eating fewer meals slows down our metabolism making us fatter over time.
This couldn’t be further from the truth.
Eating one or two meals per day is the best way to lose excess weight for good.
In the weight loss community, this is commonly known as intermittent fasting.
Fasting helps you lose weight with greater ease
In addition to weight loss, intermittent fasting has many other health benefits.
These benefits include:
- The stabilization of insulin and glucose levels
- An increased amount of body fat burned
- Lowered risk of diseases like obesity, diabetes, and heart disease
One study showed marked improvement in 34 resistance-trained males when they practiced intermittent fasting for 2 months.
At the end of the study, the participants saw improved health biomarkers, a decrease in body fat, and they were able to maintain their muscle mass.
The results found in this study are quite common when you practice fasting.
But you don’t have to be an athlete or male to see amazing results.
Even if you suffer from obesity or diabetes you’ll have the opportunity to see improvement while fasting.
The best way to start a fasting protocol is to skip breakfast each day.
This is commonly known as the 16:8 protocol (Leangains) popularized by fitness guru Martin Berkhan.
This means that you fast for 16 hours and have an 8-hour eating window.
In your eating window, you’ll usually have two meals that fulfill your caloric requirements for the day.
When you skip breakfast you allow your body to stay in its fat-burning state. Eating cause you to switch over to glucose for fuel.
The more often you delay your first meal the more weight you’ll lose over time.
Eat a whole foods diet
The only way to lose weight while eating two meals a day is to consume a diet filled with minimally processed whole foods.
Use popular diets like Keto or Vegan for inspiration but there’s no one size fits all diet.
Eat foods like:
- Grass-fed meats-Bison and lamb are popular alternatives to beef.
- Root vegetables– Sweet potatoes, turnips, parsnips, and rutabaga are filled with necessary vitamins and minerals. Fall and winter are best for eating them.
- Leafy greens– Greens like arugula and dandelion have phytonutrients that you won’t find in other foods. Arugula is high in magnesium which can help with anxiety.
- Legumes– Red beans, black beans, garbanzo beans and beyond. There are so many options. Beans fill you up fast and give you long-lasting energy. Plus they are usually inexpensive.
- Fruit– Eating fruit can be a great alternative for a sweet tooth. Plus if you aren’t worried about carbs they’re a great gluten-free option.
- Nuts and seeds– can help get rid of the urge to munch on chips and other junk foods.
- Healthy drinks– Organic teas and coffee (without sugar or cream) in moderation can help keep you energized. Kambocua is also a great alternative to soda if you’re a soda drinker.
While most of the foods above are lower in calories, they help you feel full longer and reduce cravings.
Heavily processed foods spike your insulin and make you hungry in a short period of time.
Processed foods also lack the necessary nutrients you need. This will cause you to have cravings while you’re fasting.
Play around with your diet and see what works best for you.
It’s unnecessary to count calories or go on a strict diet when you’re losing weight.
Create a lifestyle that keeps lost weight off
Build a life around your weight loss goals that support you.
Once you’re used to eating two meals a day, create an exercise routine.
Going to the gym isn’t the only thing you can do for exercise.
Mix things up by:
- Going for long brisk walks in the park
- Enrolling in a dance or fitness class
- Using stairs as much as possible
- Playing with your children more (if you have them)
Exercise benefits the body and mind. As you get stronger in body you’ll want to focus on building a positive mindset.
One of the best ways to do this is to quiet the mind daily by starting a meditation practice.
Weight loss is not an easy journey.
A strong healthy mindset is crucial.
Meditation will help reduce your negative thoughts. It will also keep you calm in times of stress.
As you progress you’ll start other healthy living practices.
Eat two meals a day in an 8-hour window. This is a great jumping-off point. You’ll lose the weight you want for good.
Here’s a Guide That’ll Help You with Hunger When You Start Eating 2 Meals a Day
Download the Stop Hunger While Fasting Guide. Implement the 5 tips suggested. You’ll see weight loss in a short period of time.